When you speak with a college coach during recruiting, it is important that you have prepared a list of questions to ask the coach. Asking questions not only gives you information about the college and athletic program, but shows the coach that you are serious about a career as a student athlete.
When to Ask Coaches Questions?
You don’t have to wait until you get a face-to-face with coaches to ask them questions. Each time you make contact, use it as an opportunity to ask questions. Here are just some of the opportunities you will have to ask coaches questions:
- When writing emails
- When speaking on the phone
- During campus visits
- During sports camps
What Types of Questions to Ask?
There is no limit to the types of questions you can ask. However, you do want to make sure you ask a wide range of questions. You would NOT, for example, want to ask just questions about scholarship money. This would show you are not interested in the specific program. Likewise, you don’t want to just ask questions about the team’s win record. This would show that you are not looking at all of the benefits the program can offer.
To make it easier, break the questions down into categories. Here are some of the categories of questions to ask coaches.
- Questions about the team needs
- Questions about coaching style
- Questions about schedules
- Questions about life as a student athlete
- Questions about facilities
- Questions about recruiting and admissions
- Questions about scholarships and costs
Questions to Ask College Coaches
When talking with a college coach the first time, you won’t have time to ask all of these questions. However, these questions can serve as examples for things you should be asking the coach and also taking into consideration when choosing which college to attend. Remember to ask questions from multiple categories and not just one! This will show the coach you are looking at the bigger picture and are a serious student athlete.
Questions about the Team
- What are the strengths and weaknesses of the team?
- What is the biggest need of the team right now and the immediate future?
- What position do you see me in? Is there a strong need for this position?
- How will I fit in with the team?
- Do freshmen play?
Questions about Coaching Style
- How would you describe your coaching style?
- What kind of players do best with your coaching style?
- What makes you different from other coaches in your division?
- When does your coaching contract end? Do you see yourself here in 4 years?
Questions about Schedules
- What does a typical schedule look like?
- What is the off-season schedule?
- Is there a separate schedule for conditioning?
- Are there any unofficial practices I need to know about?
- What does the travel schedule look like?
- What happens if I have to miss a practice?
Questions about Life as a Student Athlete
- If I am having trouble with my academics, is there any tutoring or other support available to student athletes?
- How do your players balance academics with athletics?
- What is the team GPA?
- What do the players major in?
- Are there any players majoring in my major?
- How many players graduate?
- If there is a conflict with academics and athletics, how is it handled?
Questions about Facilities
- When will I have access to the facilities?
- Will the facilities be renovated or upgraded anytime soon?
- What is the schedule of the conditioning coach?
- What is your availability if I need assistance during the season or off season?
Questions about Recruiting and Admissions
- How many other students are you recruiting for my position right now?
- Where do I rank on the list of possible recruits?
- Why should I pick your program over another program which is recruiting me?
- Is there any preference given to student athletes during the admissions process?
- What can I do now to prepare myself for college?
Questions about Scholarships and Costs
- Do you typically increase scholarship amounts after freshman year?
- What medical expenses are covered by the college?
- What equipment costs are covered and what will I be required to provide?